Why we need to help:
• In some areas the drought is the worst in 60 years according to an analysis by FEWSNET.
• More than 10 million people have been affected across a wide area of East Africa.
• Acute malnutrition (GAM) has reached 37% in some parts of north east Kenya, double the 15 % emergency threshold.
• Child refugees from Somalia are dying of causes related to malnutrition either during the journey or very shortly after arrival.
• Prices of essential food items have skyrocketed, in some cases more than doubling as the price of the cattle that people are selling to buy grain falls sharply.
How we can help:
The easiest way is by text message: To donate £5 by mobile, TEXT 70000 with the word HELP in your message.
Otherwise, to donate via the Disasters Emergency Committee, call 0370 60 60 900, or visit any bank or building society and ask to pay into the DEC East Africa Crisis Appeal account.
And here’s the link to the DEC’s secure donations page which allows you to gift aid your donation and increase its value by 25%: